Containing facts, figures and a whole bunch of nothing...
My head hurtz...
Published on February 27, 2004 By Dark-Star In Work Reports

Okay, this week has been a difficult one on front and good on another.

First off, I did some rather minor updates to JoeUser. One reason: Troubleshooting a odd problem with Cookies and Session variables. So my question to any and all people would be, when redirecting from one page to another web server and back again, what might cause cookies to be killed as soon as the page leaves the server? I realize that you must set a domain, which was done, but somehow, JoeUser tosses it's cookies; literally & virtually. -- Pun intended.

Anyway, here is a list of stuff done since last Thursday.

Updates for JoeUser

  • Changed the text on pages that are Disabled for commenting. Now you won't get confused and wonder why you can't comment on an article. It will tell you that you can't comment. Who knew?

  • Added Standard Editor on Article Replies for logged in users and added an Advanced Editor for Administrative users.

  • Worked on a Unified Login system for JoeUser. Attempting to create a single access point for ALL Stardock websites for easier updates and to better enhance user accounts. Encountered problems with Cookies and Sessions.

  • Created a test page validating Cookies and Sessions on multiple servers while passing variables and redirects. Success!!!

Updates for GUIOlympics

  • Enhanced Graphics on website. Created several custom graphics for the site.

  • Added Company Sponsors.

  • Enhanced Colors and Borders and Background images.

This week has been a busy one. Yet, my head hurts to new degrees. I did learn quite a bit about Sessions and Cookies. I'm always learning... sheesh I've got so much more to learn. Hahaha. I guess I'll end this blog on a good note. I learned something new and I did get stuff done. Even though I spent a couple of days on that darn Login code. Oh well...

on Feb 27, 2004
Good stuff!
on Feb 27, 2004
The only time I ever had similar problems with cookies was when I had their expiration date set wrong, or when the path was set incorrectly. I remember people complaining about certain servers not liking redirects and IE6 having trouble with underscores in the hostname.

I always had trouble with sessions and cookies.
on Mar 01, 2004

Thanks for the tips.. I'll keep that in mind. I think as far as today I'm just going to simplify my current project and get it to work "bare bones" and then progress from there. I'm pretty confident I'll find the bug since I was able to get it working in a new project. Thanks guys for the posts!

on Mar 01, 2004

Sweet! We found out what it was... 3rd-Party Cookies! By default, iExplorer blocks these... so it looks like we will be looking for alternative ways to do this. At least we know what the problem is now.